Turkish culture guides. Hamam, traditional Turkish bath.
Experience a traditional Turkish bath while visiting Turkey!
Turkish bath, Türk hamamı, is a public bath that has been used since the Roman times. During the Ottoman period, they were either part of a külliye (a complex of buildings adjacent to a mosque) or a separate building that was run for mosques and charitable foundations. Turkish bath was not only a public bath, but it also had a socializing function. Especially women went to the hamam with their relatives or neighbours to chat, eat, drink, sing and dance, even find a girl to marry their sons. In addition to socializing, there were also traditional occasions done in the hamam such as kına gecesi (henna night) before the wedding.Teach yourself Turkish (discount bundles, PDF, PDF+MP3, videos) »
Download Turkish language learning video lessons »
Parts of Turkish Bath
- Göbek taşı Heated marble slab to lie on for sweating
- Halvet Partially enclosed bathing cubicle
- Kese Bath glove made of coarse cloth for rubbing the skin
- Kurna Marble basin under a faucet
- Kurna başı Open parts that the customers take bath alone
- Peştamal Loincloth worn in the hamam
- Takunya Clog
- Tas Metal bowl, vessel used for washing up
- Tellak Rubber, attendant who messages and bathes the customer
Today, even if the hamam seems to lose its popularity, it is still a favourable place as part of the city culture as well as for traditional people.
Handpicked Turkish Bath Tours & Tickets
Cleanse your body and mind with traditional Turkish bath experience at the best Turkish baths during your Turkey travel:
- Alanya: 2-Hour Traditional Turkish Bath Experience
- Antalya: Traditional Turkish Bath with Massages
- Antalya: Massage and Scrub at a Turkish Bath
- Antalya, Belek: Traditional Turkish Bath Experience with Massage
- Antalya, Kemer: 2-Hour Traditional Turkish Bath and Massage
- Antalya, Side: 3-hour Full Turkish Bath Experience
- Bodrum: Turkish Bath Experience
- Bodrum: Full-Day Turkish Bath Experience
- Cappadocia: 2-Hour Traditional Turkish Bath Experience
- Fethiye: Entrance to Turkish Bath incl. Massages
- Istanbul: Full-Day Turkish Bath Experience
- Istanbul, Sultanahmet: Traditional Turkish Bath Experience
- Kusadasi: Turkish Bath Experience
- Kusadasi: Full-Day Luxurious Turkish Spa Tour
- Marmaris: 2-Hour Turkish Bath Experience
- Marmaris: Grand Hamam 2-Hour Turkish Bath and Massage
- Marmaris: 2-hour Traditional Turkish Bath Experience
Are you learning Turkish language?
Learn Turkish with Turkish language courses, books and lessons for self-study offered by Dem Turkish Center!
TURKISH LANGUAGE COURSES
Dem Turkish Center offers membership courses:
- DTC Turkish Course (Site Membership) Take this course, become a DTC member, download Turkish language materials, study Turkish yourself, get online help while studying and take causal classes online to revise and practice.
- Self-study Turkish Courses (Level Membership) Take a course (A1, A2, PI or B1), become a DTC member, download Turkish language materials, study Turkish yourself and get online help while studying yourself.
TURKISH LANGUAGE BOOKSHOP
Learn Turkish yourself with Turkish video lessons, books, worksheets and courses for self-study!
TURKISH LANGUAGE VACATION COURSES
Study Turkish yourself before your Turkey vacation, have a great vacation in Antalya, Alanya, Kaş, Fethiye, Marmaris, Bodrum, Didim, Kuşadası, İzmir, İstanbul and practice your Turkish yourself at social times and with your Turkish language teacher.
Visit Turkish Language Vacation Courses for more information.
Thank you very much for visiting Dem Turkish Center