Izmir city & travel guides. Things to do in Izmir – Like a local!
You want to travel Turkey for your next holiday. You chose Izmir city to visit. Probably you are looking for the best things to do in Izmir lists to have a good time in Izmir during your stay. You might find many things to do in Izmir lists made from a tourist point of view but how about doing things in Izmir like a local?Teach yourself Turkish with discount bundles (PDF, PDF+MP3, video bundles) »
Download Turkish language learning video lessons »
Things to do in Izmir – like a local:
Here is a list of things to do in Izmir from a local’s point of view to make you Izmir visit even more enjoyable:
- Buy a Kentkart to travel around in the city.
- Take a ferry and feed the seagulls with “gevrek” (simit, bagel).
- Have lunch at the Kemeralti and have kazandibi at the Sefer Usta.
- Go for a walk between Karsiyaka and Bostanli.
- Go for a picnic in Bornova, Cicekli Koy (village).
- Take the Teleferik to the picnic area and to enjoy the lovely Izmir view.
- Have a glass of tea in the tea garden in Inciralti.
- Try Lokma cooked and sold by street vendors.
- Try Boyoz and Kumru sandwich.
- Try Cin Ali’s durum kebabs Cin Ali in Hisaronu.
- Try sis kebab at the Topcu.
- Try Sakizli (with gummustic) ice cream at the Rumeli Pastanesi.
- Meet friends at the Sevinc Pastanesi in Alsancak and YKM in Konak.
- Enjoy the view from Asansor Restaurant in Konak.
- Try meatballs in the Asansor Restaurant.
- Go shopping at the Konak Pier.
- Go for a walk at the Kulturpark.
- Try Izmir foods at the restaurant behind the Ahmet Pristina Museum.
- Try Izmir kofte, kokorec at the small restaurants in Kemeralti.
- Have a glass of tea at the pasaport.
- Have a cup of Turkish coffee at the Meserret in Konak.
- Have an atom sandwich at the Asucan.
- Walk around Kordonboyu.
- Visit Kizlaragasi Han.
- Walk around Kordonboyu.
- Go shopping in Kemeralti Bazaar.
- Try local figs and sultanas.
- Remember not to wear in green and red in Guzelyali, and red and yellow in Karsiyaka.
- Visit the International Izmir Festival.
- Buy hand-painted handkerchiefs.
- Visit the old neighborhood in Kibris Sehitleri Street in Bornova.
- Buy Gorece blue beads.
- Have a drink in Foca (old Foca) while the sun goes down.
Enjoy your Izmir stay!
Are you learning Turkish language?
Learn Turkish with Turkish language courses, books and lessons for self-study offered by Dem Turkish Center!
TURKISH LANGUAGE COURSES
Dem Turkish Center offers membership courses:
- DTC Turkish Course (Site Membership) Take this course, become a DTC member, download Turkish language materials, study Turkish yourself, get online help while studying and take causal classes online to revise and practice.
- Self-study Turkish Courses (Level Membership) Take a course (A1, A2, PI or B1), become a DTC member, download Turkish language materials, study Turkish yourself and get online help while studying yourself.
TURKISH LANGUAGE BOOKSHOP
Learn Turkish yourself with Turkish video lessons, books, worksheets and courses for self-study!
TURKISH LANGUAGE VACATION COURSES
Study Turkish yourself before your Turkey vacation, have a great vacation in Antalya, Alanya, Kaş, Fethiye, Marmaris, Bodrum, Didim, Kuşadası, İzmir, İstanbul and practice your Turkish yourself at social times and with your Turkish language teacher.
Visit Turkish Language Vacation Courses for more information.
Thank you very much for visiting Dem Turkish Center