What are the things to do in Istanbul like a local Istanbulian?
You want to travel Istanbul for your next holiday and you are looking for the lists of the best things to do in Istanbul to have a good time in Istanbul during your stay?
You can find many lists for the best things to do in Istanbul made from a tourist point of view but how about doing things in Istanbul like a local?
Here is a list of some of the typical things to do in Istanbul like a local to make your Istanbul visit even more enjoyable:
Cultural activities in Istanbul
- Get scrubbed in a hamam (Turkish Bath).
- Play backgammon and drink Turkish tea or Turkish coffee.
- Go fishing at the Galata Bridge. Don’t worry if you can’t catch any fish, there are lots of fish restaurant at the Galata Bridge.
- Go to a derby game in Istanbul. Fenerbahçe – Galatasaray, Fenerbahçe – Beşiktaş or Beşikta – Galatasaray.
Eating out in Istanbul
- Have Turkish breakfast by the Bosphours in Çengelköy, Bebek, etc.
- Drink Turkish raki. Even better, have a raki-fish meal in Kumkapi or Bosphorus restaurants.
- Go on a Bosphorus tour and have a raki-fish meal in Anadolukavagi.
- Try boza at the Vefa Bozacisi, salep on the ferry in winter.
- Have a lovely meal at the Cicek Pasaji in Beyoglu.
- Have a drink at Nevizade Street in Beyoglu.
- Have a balik ekmek (fish sandwich) in Eminonu.
- Have a lovely breakfast at Sutis in Emirgan, cafes in Rumelihisari or Cengelkoy.
- Join a Sunday breakfast ritual with friends.
Shopping in Istanbul
- Forget the Grand Bazaar, go shopping in the Egyptian Market.
- Dig Tahtakale shopping area (behind the Egyptian market) to find cheap but good stuff.
Transportation in Istanbul
- Travel by “dolmuş, ferry or boats instead of taxi.
Trips in Istanbul
- Walk around in Kadiköy fish market, have a meal at the Ciya Restaurant and walk to Moda for a cup of tea or coffee.
- Have a tea or Turkish coffee in Ortaköy enjoying the Bosphorus, Ortaköy Mosque and Bosphorus Bridge.
- Walk up to the Yücetepe Hill in Büyükada to visit Aya Yorgi Church and have a meal at the open-air restaurant.
- Have a tea or Turkish coffee in Salacak in Üsküdar and take photos of the Old City.
- Go for walks along both sides of the Bosphorus, Eminonu to Sultanahmet following the tram street, Eminonu to Grand Bazaar following the market area, Taksim to Tünel along the Istiklal Street, along the Golden Horn, around Büyükada.
- Go for a walk at the Istiklal Street.
Plan your trip to Istanbul:
Book your flight to Istanbul, book your hotel in Istanbul and book tours, trips and excursions during your Istanbul vacation.
LEARNING TURKISH LANGUAGE?
Learn Turkish yourself with Dem Turkish Center’s Turkish language course (Site Membership):
You have the full access to Dem Turkish Center bookstore.
Visit Dem Turkish Center’s Turkish language bookstore and download self-study Turkish language learning materials instantly:
Download “digital” (PDF only, PDF + MP3 or video lessons) Turkish language learning books, lessons, worksheets and courses for self-study!
Thank you very much for visiting Dem Turkish Center, a Turkish language resource website offering Turkish language lerning materials and courses for self-study.