Istanbul city & travel guides. Topkapi Palace Museum, Istanbul. Video by YourIstanbul
The Topkapi Palace museum is one of the must-see attractions to visit in Istanbul. The palace visited by thousands of tourists every year (796.588 visitors in 2013) is located on hill 1 of 7 hills, the Seraglio (Sarayburnu) Point, overlooking the Golden Horn, Marmara Sea and Bosphorus.
The palace was built in 1459-1465 after the conquest of Constantinople and served the Ottoman Empire until 1856 when the palace was moved to the Dolmabahce Palace along the Bosphorus coast.
The Topkapi Palace is not a one building structure like the European palaces, but it is a complex of several pavilions and flats. While the population of the palace was only 750 people during the period of Mehmet The Conquerer’s rule, the number increased in time and in 19th century it became 5.000 people before the Ottoman Palace was moved to the Dolmabahce Palace in Besiktas along the Bosphorus.
This unique Ottoman Palace hosts the collections of legendary treasures collected by the Ottoman emperors in a period of centuries, thrones, jewelery, Turkish fabric wovens with silk and artificial fibers, silk caftans, garments of the emperors, guns and valuable prayer rugs and many more. Also the worldwide famous Topkapi dagger, Throne of Nadir Shah and Kasikci diamond are also exhibited in the Topkapi Palace.
Topkapi Palace Museum Facts & Figures
- The name translates as “Cannon Gate Palace” from a nearby gate which has since been destroyed.
- The palace was built over the acropolis of the ancient Byzantion.
- The total size of the complex varies from around 592,600 square meters to 700,000 square meters.
- The Topkapi Palace Museum is among the monuments contained within the “Historic areas of Istanbul”, which became a UNESCO world Heritage in 1985.
- The Topkapi Palace Museum contains important holy relics of the Muslim world, including the Prophet Muhammed’s cloak and sword.
- The Topkapı Palace was transformed into a museum in 1924.
Tours & Activities
- Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia and more: Istanbul City Tour
- Ottoman Tour with the Topkapi Palace
- Spirit Of Istanbul: The Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia & More
- The Topkapi Palace & Sultans Tombs: Haf-day Istanbul Tour
- Istanbul: Private Half Day Tour with Topkapi Palace
- Istanbul: Half-Day Classical Tour and Topkapi Palace Ticket
Plan your trip to Istanbul!
Plan your Istanbul travel in 3 steps: First book the cheapest flight to Istanbul, then book the best Istanbul hotel and finally choose Istanbul tours, tickets and activities for an amazing Istanbul travel.
1. Book your flight to Istanbul!
Search flights to Istanbul, get the best flight deals to Istanbul, book your flight to Istanbul online and enjoy this amazing city in your vacation!
2. Book your Istanbul hotel!
Hotelscombined.com is a leading online hotel price comparison website searching hotels from all major travel websites if you are looking for the best Istanbul hotel deals.
Istanbul Airport Transfers
Take the worry out of your arrival or departure at the airport and save money on the fastest transfers to the center of Istanbul.
3. Get your Istanbul tour guide!
Book your Istanbul tour tickets for top attractions in & around Istanbul! GetYourGuide.com offers the best Istanbul tours, the lowest prices, fast & easy booking.