Pera Palas Hotel Istanbul is one of the must-see hotels in Istanbul located in Pera, Beyoglu on the European side of Istanbul. Pera Palas is a museum hotel with its story, style, all those famous visitors and the wonderful view of the historic peninsula and the Golden Horn.
The rococo-style Pera Palas was built in 1892 by the architect Alexander Vallaury (1850-1921), the founder and first instructor of the Architectural Department at the Academy of Fine Arts in Istanbul. The purpose was to provide accomodation for the passengers arriving in Sirkeci Terminal on the Orient Express. The location of the hotel was great to built a hotel for the European tourists because Pera was the European face of the city with streets, religious buildings, cafes, restaurants, shops, lifestyle, vivid nightlife and the people coming from all over the world speaking many different languages, just like today.
Pera Palas hosted many famous people including Agatha Christie (She wrote Murder on the Orient Express in room 411 which is preserved in her honour today), Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (He stayed in room 101 which is preserved in his honour today), King George V of England, Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria-Hungary, Czar Nicholas II of Russia, King Zog I of Albania, Shah Reza Pahlavi of Iran, King Edward VIII of England, King Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, King Carol I of Romania, President Tito of Yugoslavia and President Giscard d’Estaing of France, Franz Von Papen, Greta Garbo, Mata Hari, Yehudi Menuhin, Jacqueline Kennedy, Rita Hayworth and Zsa Zsa Gabor.
The Pera Palas hotel is located in Mesrutiyet Caddesi (street) in Tepebasi near Tünel. You can walk there or take the street car from Taksim or you can take the metro (oldest metro in Istanbul) if you are going from Karakoy.
Did you know?
- After World War I, occupying forces used the Pera Palas Hotel as their headquarters.
- Following the liberation of Istanbul by the Turkish nationalist movement under Mustafa Kemal Atatürk in 1922, the British gave “the key to Istanbul” back to Celal Bayar in this hotel, where İsmet İnönü stayed during the armistice talks.
- The first fashion show in Istanbul was held at the Pera Palas.
- Pera Palas was the first building to have electricity as well as the first electric elevator in Istanbul.
Meşrutiyet Caddesi No:52 Tepebaşı Beyoğlu 34430 İstanbul
Tel: +90 212 377 40 00
Plan your trip to Istanbul!
Plan your Istanbul travel in 3 steps: First book the cheapest flight to Istanbul, then book the best Istanbul hotel and finally choose Istanbul tours, tickets and activities for an amazing Istanbul travel.
1. Book your flight to Istanbul!
Search flights to Istanbul, get the best flight deals to Istanbul, book your flight to Istanbul online and enjoy this amazing city in your vacation!
2. Book your Istanbul hotel!
Hotelscombined.com is a leading online hotel price comparison website searching hotels from all major travel websites if you are looking for the best Istanbul hotel deals.
Istanbul Airport Transfers
Take the worry out of your arrival or departure at the airport and save money on the fastest transfers to the center of Istanbul.
Rent a car in Istanbul!
Rent a car in Istanbul »
3. Get your Istanbul tour guide!
Book your Istanbul tour tickets for top attractions in & around Istanbul! GetYourGuide.com offers the best Istanbul tours, the lowest prices, fast & easy booking.
Are you learning Turkish language?
- Download Turkish language learning books for self-study – with/without audios! »
- Download self-study Turkish lessons – with audios & answer keys! »
- Download Turkish language worksheets for self-study – with audios! »
- Take Turkish language courses & classes online via Skype! »