Istanbul travel guide. Places to visit in Sultanahmet. Hagia Sophia Museum.
The Hagia Sophia Museum, one of the must-see places to visit in Istanbul, was built as a church by the Emperor Constantinus II in 360. The first church with a wooden roof was burned and destroyed in 404. Similarly the second church was burned down in 532 during the riots called Nika Revolt against the Emperor Justinian I.
After the conquest of Constantinople in 1453 by Sultan Mehmed II the Conqueror, Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque. With the addition of structures in Ottoman style, the building continued to be a sacred space and a place for worship.
Hagia Sophia was converted into a museum in November 24, 1934 and opened to visitors on February 1, 1935.
April-October: 09:00 – 19:00
November-March: 09:00 – 16:30
Hagia Sophia is open every day except Mondays. Ticket booths are closing 30 minutes or an hour before the museum closing time.
Address Sultanahmet Meydanı No: 1 Fatih
Web Site www.ayasofyamuzesi.gov.tr
E-mail email@example.com – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone (212) 522 17 50 – (212) 522 09 89
More Hagia Sophia Tours
- Hagia Sophia Walking Seminar Tour
- Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia & Hippodrome walking tour
- Topkapi Palace, hagia Sophia and more: Istanbul city tour
- Hidden Istanbul: 4 hour walking tour
- Istanbul classics tour
- Guided full day Istanbul tour
- Half day customized walking tour
- Istanbul full day private walking tour
Are you learning Turkish language?
- Download Turkish language learning books for self-study – with/without audios! »
- Download self-study Turkish lessons – with audios & answer keys! »
- Download Turkish language worksheets for self-study – with audios! »
- Take Turkish language courses & classes online via Skype! »