Turkey travel guides. Pamukkale pools & Ephesus. Best places to see in Turkey. Video by:…
Istanbul earthquakes in history. List of earthquakes in Istanbul from past to present:
- 1489 It caused some damage in the city.
- 1509 It was a strong earthquake and the aftershocks took forty five days. It was reported in the Ottoman documents that hundred nine mosques and a thousand dwellings were destroyed.
- 1556, 1648, 1658 They were severe eartquakes.
- 1690, 1712, 1719, 1752 They were minor eartquakes.
- 1754 It caused some loss of life and property.
- 1766 It was another strong earthquake after 1754 and mosques in districts like Fatih and Eyüp were demolished, many houses were leveled and hundreds of people died.
- 1790, 1802, 1837 They were minor earthquakes after 1766.
- 1841 It was reported that the city was shaken three times and toppled many houses and caused loss of life.
- 1855 This one caused minor damage in the city.
- 1894 This one was the worst before 1999 and it was reported that 138 people died and caused damage in the city.
- 1923, 1952, 1957, 1963, 1988 They were minor earthquakes.
- 17 August 1999 This earthquake caused less than a thousand deaths and nearly all the property damage was located in Avcılar on the European side whereas it caused more damage in Kocaeli, Gölcük and Yalova and about 20.000 people died.
Are you learning Turkish language?