Do you know how to make Turkish yoghurt? This very healthy dairy food presented to the whole world by the Turks (It’s a Turkish cuisine. It is a very easy product to make, besides it is one of the mostly consumed food in Turkey as side dish (meze), drink (ayran), a sauce with garlic and so on. Other than the typical yoghurt, süzme yoğurt or torba yoğurdu (yoghurt which is strained until it reaches the consistency of cream cheese) are popular types of yoghurt.
Popular Yoghurt Food & Drinks
- Ayran – Butter Milk Ayran, buttermilk, is a cold drink made by shaking yoghurt, water and salt. Ayran is a drink that accompanies food such as fastfood or kebap. Doctors tell us it is also a preventative medicine against the effects of carcinogens because of the bacteria in yoghurt. Ayran can be made simply mixing yogurt, water and salt.
- Cacık – Side Dish or Cold Soup Cacık is a kind of meze or side dish made with yoghurt, cucumber, dill (or mint), olive oil and garlic preferably. It is served as a side dish or meze as well as cold soup on hot sesaons. A cheap but delicious and nutricious meal of kuru fasulye (beans soup), pilav (rice) and cacık is enough to make most people happy.
- Haydari – Raki Meze Haydari is a kind of meze made from yoghurt, garlic, olive oil and spices. Haydari is one of the main mezes of a çilingir sofrası (rakı table). Ingredients are süzme (strained) yoghurt, garlic, cumin, thyme or mint, red pepper, parsley, salt.
- Kanlica Yoghurt This typical small Bosphorus town, Kanlica on the Asian Side is famous for Kanlıca yoğurdu, a kind of yoghurt served with powdered sugar.
How To Make Yoghurt
If you want to make yoghurt at home, here is how to make yoghurt:
- Boil 1 litre of milk (85 C) stirring it.
- Chill the milk (40-45 C).
- Put the milk in a pot.
- Mix a spoon of milk and 2 tablespoons of existing yoghurt and add it to the milk pot and stir it.
- Cover the milk pot tightly with a thick cover to keep the milk warm.
- Wait at least 4 hours without moving or shaking the pot.
- Your yoghurt is ready! Keep the yoghurt in the fridge and consume it in a week at most.
Afiyet olsun! Good appetite!