Popular Turkish foods and desserts. How to make gullac, rose of Ramadan?
Güllac is one of the most popular Turkish desserts that is usually consumed during the Ramadan. It is a very simple dessert made with a very thin sheet of dough (made with corn starch), milk, rose water and dried fruits dressed. It was called güllü aş (food with rose) during the Ottoman period because the chefs used to add rose water to the dough just like today. The name was mutated as güllaç in time.
Did you know?
- Gullac was first served in the Ottoman palace in the late 15th century. In Turkey gullac is produced 250 tons every year and 85 % is consumed during the Ramadan.
- Güllüoglu, Saray Muhallebicisi, Sütis are the best to try güllac.
Are you learning Turkish?
- Download Turkish language learning books for self-study »
- Learn Turkish with self-study Turkish lessons and courses »
- Take Turkish language lessons online via Skype »
Visit Turkey blogs for more stories »